Way It Was

Let's pretend we are in a dream.
Where all good things happen,
   only happiness is supreme.
Let's pretend the trees are golden,
    the night is cold
    it's just you and me.
The silence is forbidding,
   to many only a pure fantasy.
The stars twinkle bright in the heavens.
You kiss me soft,
    no words can fit the scene. 

            That's the way it was,
                   the first night I met you.
            Like a flower blossoming in the spring.
           You gave me a reason to sing.
           A dream that did come true.
           Now that you're gone...what can I do?

Sometimes I wonder if it's just all there.
Am I kidding myself,
     how do I know you really care?
Then I stop and think of the fun we had,
    little I know.
It was enough to make me see,
    how much you think and care about me.

               That's the way it was
                       the first night I met you.
               Like a flower blossoming in the spring,
                       you gave me a reason to sing.
               A dream that did come true
               Now that you're gone...what can I do?

Now I know what must be done,
    somehow it's like the rising sun.
Every new day that it brings,
    with the birds oh how they sing.
Everyday I will think of you,
    in the morning when the sky is blue,
In the evening when I go to sleep.
    a dream like this is hard to keep.

          That's the way it was
                 the first night I met you.
          Like a flower blossoming in the spring,
          You gave me a reason to sing.
          A dream that did come true.
          Now you're gone...what can I do?