What Went Wrong

I wake up in the morning light,
     sparkling dew is glistening on the leaves.
I know the time to say goodbye
     has shadowed us, but we must part.
How can I leave you now
    I love you so I can't let go.

I look into your eyes
              and see the tears you try to hide.
I try to tell you not to cry
             but the words are hard to find.
You hold my hand and squeeze it,
            thoughts of love begin to grow.
All the times that we both had,
            it's hard to say that I won't cry.

          You ask me when I will return
          I don't know it's hard to say.
          I've never felt this way inside
          I want you more each minute we stay,
          But I must go.

I touch your face so gently,
    my lips touch yours and yours to mine.
So softly & so sweetly,
    a kiss I wish would never stop.
Your body is so close to mine,
   I feel the beat of a lonely heart. 

All the dreams that we both had,
    they slowly creep into the haze.
So now the end has finally come,
    I start to walk out the door.

You grab my hand, I turn around,
    you say to me, love is strong
I bow my head, I stare at the ground,
    I whisper softly, 'What Went Wrong'